Some of you may know that I am working on my own 1935 Commander (1B) and Dictator (2A).<BR> I need part # 183986 (1514-1 on Front Spring drawing Plate 15-3).<BR>This is the rubber bumper that keeps the Steering Knuckle Support Arm from bottoming out. There are 4 per car, so I could use up to 8!<BR> Thanks<p>[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: George Rohrbach ]

Guest stude8

George:<BR>The best you can do outside of making a short run temporary mold yourself and casting something out of Urethane rubber is to browse thru the Steele catalog and find something close enough to do the job or be customized some how to do it.<BR>I have made door bumpers for my 1930 by band sawing rubber blocking and shaping it on a belt sander. You can glue rubber sheeting with 3M weatherstrip adhesive to build up big items also. I haven't heard of any one reproducing those parts, to little demand to make it worth while. Stude8

The new rubber spring bumpers are finished. They came out great! I used Flexane 94 by Devcon. It is a pourable, two part urethane rubber, that cures at room temperature. First built the old wrecked one up with wax to the correct shape and made an indexed mold with dental die stone (sort of a very<BR>hard plaster). Then took off old broken down rubber from the mounting plate, sandblasted the plate and used 2 special primers that make the Flexane bond to it. Mixed and poured the rubber and reindexed the metal plate in the mould.<P>The pic shows the two moulds and two of the finished bumpers. They are about 2 1/2" by 1 1/2" by 1 1/2".--<P> rubbera.jpg <P>[ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: peterg ]<p>[ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: peterg ]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey George-that no fair. saw your posting about the bumpers and the technique you used. One of your patients probably thought you were making a lower plate for them !!!!! steve