Steering wheel removal

Naasaa

I had to pull the steering wheel on my 1932 Dodge Brothers and didn't have the correct puller to handle the job.  The only puller I had was purchased to use on my 48 Plymouth and 50 Dodge - you can find one like it in most any auto parts store.  It had threaded bolts that screwed into threads on the wheel.  My car has no such threaded holes so I had to improvise.  I made this puller out of my old puller plus some leftover oak scrap I had from my seat construction project and two long threaded bolts.  I used two boards on each side for strength, with the two notched boards able to fit over the steering shaft from each side.  The wood holds the steering wheel solidly in place, front and back.

IMG_6078_zpsazkt39qr.jpg

IMG_6079_zpssyhdtbn0.jpg

IMG_6080_zpsyvyv0f4j.jpg

Once I had everything bolted together, I wound down the threaded shaft against the top of the inner steering shaft, hoping the wood wouldn't break.  After a few turns, there was a loud bang.  I thought the wood had gone, but it was the sound of the steering wheel popping loose after 84 years.  No damage to the wheel.  Occasionally my hair-brained ideas actually work!

Obviously, you need to take the nut off the steering shaft before you remove the wheel.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

Hi TM

Thanks for your reply. Good hint about a puller.

But I'm not even there yet.

I had try to find away for the horn button to kind of pop-up. But didn't succeed.

Please note attaced photo of steering wheel/column.

Thanks

Lars

post-144900-0-09730500-1456219687_thumb.

The horn button and the levers are probably held on at the bottom of the column.  Mine were attached to a Clum switch for the headlights.  You'll need to take off whatever is attached to the levers and then the two levers with their shafts will slide out of the steering column along with the horn button and its wire.  At least that's how mine was built.