Collectible or not?

I have an 1984 LeSabre Custom 4 door. It needs work. The interior is in good shape. The body needs some work and a new paint job. The engine, my mechanic told me, need to be replaced or rebuilt. My question is: Is this car worth putting $$$ into. What is the potential of it being worth more down the road? I really like the car, I bought it from my parents. Is this car typical for the time it was made? I read somewhere, I can't find the source, but that there was only 40,000 of these (Custom) built in 84. Can anyone confirm that? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just wonder if it would be worth fixing up. I just bought an 89 LeSabre T-Type in excellent condition! Just want to know where to put my $$$. Thanks.

well, collectible is a hard term to describe, and so is value. I know people who prize four door mavericks, and others who think that a 70' AMC Matador is where automotive styling ends. All I have to say,is if you like the car, and it means something go for it. Also, you will never really get what back what you put into the car anyway, and if the only people who make money on restoring cars is the people who do them for other people. Just think a 70 GS 455 stage one four speed, may be a valuble and desirble buick, but if you put $20,000-$30,000 making it a #1 or #0 car, what is the most you can expect to get back for it???<P>james<BR>

Value is something that no one person can pin down to anything. It's also IMO, untrue that you 'never' get back what you spend. If you find it at a yard or on a corner and for $500 you get what has the potential to be a really good car, so what if you spend 10K on it, in the end you have a fully restored car, that you know you did with or without help, you remember what it 'was' and what it is 'now' and the road you went down to make it what it is now. Now what cost you a total of $10,500, may only be worth 8K to someone else, it's value to you is much higher, that's what counts. Down the road you might come across a person who likes the car or wants the car and is willing to give 20K for it, depending on the person, it may or may not be worth it to you. I think for most people, it's damn near impossible to put a value on your own accomplishments and sentimental value. I think thats just a part of life, hobbies, things that are enjoyable, all have greater value then someone else may think. In a nutshell, if it's worth it to you to do something, or create something, then you should do it, regardless of what anyone else says or thinks. If you're the type that has to do things by what other people think, then you're IMO, not your own individual.<P>Do what makes you happy, be glad of what you have and have accomplished, and live life. If you never do what makes 'you' happy, then whats the point in being here.<P>my £5 worth<P>S.<BR>

If your looking for a one or the other answer, I'd have to say the T-type. There were fewer made, about 16,000, and they have more significance than a normal Lesabre. Also keep in mind that the '89 will be much easier to keep up. It's newer, more up to date, and will definately last longer(300,000+).<BR> My advice would be to sell the '84 while it's still worth something. And use the money for the T-type. Or you could keep it for a winter beater, if your in that type of country.<BR> Of course they're those that would say I biased,<P>------------------<BR>-Keith<BR>'87 Lesabre T-type (The T without WHOOSH)<BR>http://members.xoom.com/lesabrettype/index.html

If you like a car, fix it up the way you want. Don't expect it to <I> ever </I> be a winning financial proposition. It may work out to be one, and that's great. But we really do this for fun, not profit.<P>Unfortunately, I think you can consider the 1984 LeSabre to be <B> very </B> typical of its age. This was just about the nadir of quality control, performance, brand image (mechanically these cars are almost identical to competing Chevys, Olds, etc.), and passion. It was also the middle of a period of unrelenting sameness among years and brands, this car was a 7 year old design in 1984 and it had as much as 6 more years to live (in wagon and Chevy/Pontiac form). <P>If the T-Type is a 2-door, it's likely to be more collectible already than any 1984 4-door. The performance image of the T-Type bodes better for long term collectibility , as does the lower production (altough neither will ever be considered truly rare). But the roads were once full of pedestrian '57 BelAir Sport Coupes and that didn't hurt them!<P>Ultimately it's a personal decision of whether you want the car enough to make the sacrifices necessary, and there will be many such sacrifices made with either car. Neither car exactly has reproduction and NOS parts vendors lining up around the block. They would both be difficult projects if you need to replace anything. <P>I hope you choose to take on one and sell the other to a like minded person. It'd be nice to see these fast vanishing, neglected cars be preserved in larger numbers. In fact, there are large factions in the AACA that are desperately hoping that more like you turn up to preserve the hobby. <P>Whatever you do, do it for fun and not money. Profit isn't just an accounting term. smile.gif

I have a 1984 LeSabre 2 door that I have had for 10 years now. Sunk lots of money into it and am still enjoying it. The main problem that you will run into is that you will never be able to find any aftermarket parts for it. It is the forgotten car. Everyone fixes up the 80s g-bodies. Anyways the one good thing is that you can find stock parts for them anywhere. I run into a 2 door every so often and have only seen one in the junkyard with a dark brown interior. I digress... <P>I see a lot of them on the road still which says something about the quality (or the amount of money people will spend to keep their car running) and the button tucked velour seats are mighty comfy!<P>I agree with the rest of the guys here. Do it for fun and don't expect a finacial reward. It will always be worth more to you than someone else because of the money, time, and blood that you have invested in it. <P>So think long and hard before starting a long term project. Is this the car I want to keep for x amount of years?