Info on 1936 Mercedes 540K searched

zup

Hello AACA Members,

I am a car guy from Germany - collecting different - mostly Porsche cars.

Some time ago I bougth a Mercedes 540 Body from a friend - who some years ago past away.

The car should be an Mercedes 540K Cabrio B from ca. 1936 - but as I am more a porsche guy - I hope you can help me out with the identification.

I am also in contact with mercedes classic in Germany - but till now no Info from their site

Body number is 843304 -> so should be a Sindelfingen Body right?

540#2

540#3

540#1

Thanks for helping me out on that one!
Edited by zup (see edit history)

Hi,

You should check out this thread and maybe post your pictures there. It gets a lot of prewar MB traffic:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/164176-prewar-mercedes-benz/

That is a nice Cab B body you have.  I believe I recall it for sale a few years ago.  Chances are that your original chassis is sitting under a special roadster reproduction.  In Eastern Europe they are reproducing the chassis, engine, etc and you could acquire those underpinings for your body.   Kind of the reverse of what happens usually.

Do not expect lots of help from the MB factory.  Total 540k chassis production for all bodies was a bit over 400.  As a 1936, your car would be one of the first.  I can't remember total Cab B production numbers but I'll guess it was around 100 or 25% of total chassis production.

regards,

A.J.