Searching for My Great Grandfathers 1909 Buick Model 10!!!

Guest KeansClassics

Guest KeansClassics

I am starting a search for my great grandfather, Richard "Dick" Hornung's car, a 1909 Buick Model 10. Its last location known to me was the Lincoln or Cheney, Nebraska area or could have been moved up to the Crawford, Nebraska (Western, NE) area after he moved there.  It Sold sometime in the 1990's I believe. I can somewhat recall seeing it in his shop when I was very young in the early 1990's at his place north of Cheney, Nebraska. I will try and come up with some pictures of it, I just need to see if any family members can find and spare some of them. It was part of his collection for 40 years and was his prized car. He took it to shows and on tours back in the 1960's and 1970's. It would mean the world to me to find where it ended up and maybe even buy it back someday if it can be found! Thank you very much! Andrew.

• 4 months later...

My advice to anyone with a prized car in their family or collection is, think twice before selling it.

Tracking down a specific car, and buying it back into the family, can be a daunting and most times expensive proposition.  Just be prepared for that!

Not everyone has an emotional attachment to a particular car.  Sometimes, as long as it's "similar" to what a person in the family used to own, that fits the bill.

My Grandfather's 1924 model 45 Buick was in the family for "only" about 43 years before it was sold.

I found it online in 2011, and then again in 2015, and was able to purchase it back.  It was worth it!

Good luck Andrew! 

• Like 1