1930 Dictator Coupe (Regal)

I recently purchased a 1930 Dictator Coupe (six) on a whim to restorod it as a daily driver. Now I'm thinking there are very few of these left (five '30 coupes on the '95 registry) and I feel a responsibility to restore it as stock. As a wire-wheeled Regal it may be the only one left. I don't want to put more in it than it will ever be worth. How do I go about getting an assessment on bringing it from it's current state to it's former glory? Scott- Forest Grove, OR

Scott, <BR>It is hard to say what it will cost to restore a car. It all depends on what level you want the car restored to. A concourse show car or a knock about driver. In general it cost just as much to have show chrome done for a Ford as it does for a Packard, and the cost of labor is the same as well for everything else. The bottom line, the cost of restoration is just as expensive for the guy with the Packard, Peerless or Pierce-Arrow as it is for the guy with a Ford, Chevy or Studebaker Dictator, the difference is what the car is worth when you are done. With this in mind, you have to make up your mind why you want to restore the car, for the fun you will have along the way and when it is finished, or future profit. Not having seen the car I can't say what it will cost to restore, but, the odds are you will have more money into it than it will ever be worth. That does not mean the car is not worth saving, I am sure it is, and when finished it will be a great car to tour and show, you just need to be committed for the long haul and willing to do most of the work yourself and learn a lot of new skills. wink.gif" border="0<BR>An added note: Scott you might want to email a friend of mine, he is doing a frame up restoration on a six wire wheel 1930 Commander rumble seat coupe. He will be better able to help you determine the potential cost of this project. His name is Rick and you can email him at: studerickpet@yahoo.com<BR>Good luck<p>[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Mark Huston ]

Scott,<BR>Let me get my two cents in as well, also you might try talking with Kevin (e-mail; oldiron29@aol.com)who is about 2/3 finished with a ground-up restoration os a 1929 Dictator Cabriolet, like your coupe there are not many around, and he has been putting this back together from three truck loads of parts. His car is featured on the ASC web page under "Feature Restoration" page, here is a direct link to page 1; <A HREF="http://www.antiquestudebakerclub.com/feature_restoration.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.antiquestudebakerclub.com/feature_restoration.htm</A> <BR>and page 2; <A HREF="http://www.antiquestudebakerclub.com/new_page_1.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.antiquestudebakerclub.com/new_page_1.htm</A> <BR>he can give you a good idea about what he has into it as well. My own personal opinion is this, Studebaker is not as common as a "Model A" or some other marquee in any body style, and yes, there is the potential with restoring any car that you may put into it more that it may be worth in dollars and cents, BUT....what price do you put on history and preserving the originality of something there are so few of around anymore? What price do you place on your own personal enjoyment and sense of accomplishment? Let me put it another way, like the famous Visa card commercial;<P>New Chrome for radiator shell - $400<BR>Set of Reproduction hubcaps - $85 ea.<BR>Owners Manual from E-bay - $75.<BR>Getting together with other Antique Studebaker owners, kicking tires, telling tall tales and being the only one among them with a '30 Dictator coupe - <B>PRICELESS!!!</B>.<P>Good luck. wink.gif" border="0<P><BR>[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: ASCwebmaster ]<p>[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: ASCwebmaster ]

Guest 40-41 connies

I too believe that it is not the cost but the enjoyment of owing and pride of your own work. I have several cars and none of them rank as top show cars. It does not bother me at all because I know I have the enjoyment of spending the day working on one of my cars and when the day is over, I step back and feel that I did something my self andI didnt pay a restorer to do it. I cant do every thing good such as upholstery and body work but I try and its fun. I might enter one show a year at the most and thats not fun to me. I love to own history and this make my day.

• 4 weeks later...

Along this same topic, how rare is a 1934 and 1935 coupe? I have just the complete bodies and no running gear. I taled to a member about it today and he feels that they should be restored. One of the cars has a chopped frame on it now. I have a 1934 Nash that I would rather make a street rod out of. I also own a 1928 Dictator Sedan that needs to be resored. Let me know what you think.