1926 Dodge Brothers Torque Tube

Guest Fuimus

Good Morning,

Can I please ask for some advice. We have what seems to be "play" between the torque tube and inner shaft. We have removed the universal at the gearbox and all seems OK. However, we are concerned that the inner shaft might be bent but to check requires its removal and the torque tube is riveted onto the Differential. 

It has been suggested that maybe there is some form of bearing or bush that is missing between the tube and inner shaft at the transmission end. I have my doubts, but have no way of knowing other than to ask.

The car is in Johannesburg, South Africa and we do not have many Dodge Brothers cars here and certainly no experts!

Thank you

Brian

Hello Brian, I am in Western Australia and I have  a 1928 DB Senior It has  a torque tube set up like your '26  4 cylinder If you want to remove the inner shaft the differential has to be stripped as the pinion  that drives the crown wheel is supported by 2 bearings in the front of the differential housing These 2 bearings are in a cage that is threaded so the cage can be adjusted to mesh the pinion gear to the crown wheel This cage can be removed by undoing a clamp bolt on the housing, remove a plate that is secured with 2 bolts and then unscrew the cage This  will come our the rear of the differential I must ask Is the universal joint at the rear of the transmission worn at all A worn u joint or pinion bearings are about the only 2 things that  can cause play   Myers Early Dodge Parts in Michigan sell a Mechanics Instruction Manual for your car  I hope that I have been helpful Ron

Thank you Ron.  I had an idea this might be the only way forward. We will set about doing this. I guess it is likely the pinion bearings in the front of the diff housing may be worn as the universal joint at rear of transmission is good.  I will post the outcome in due course.

Brian