1935 8-cylinder Studebaker President with peirce arrow body

Dear Sir<BR> <BR>My father has inherited a 1935 Studebaker Dictator with pierce arrow body design from my Grandfather who recently passed away. The serial number is as follows: 1AL-2168.<BR> <BR>At the moment the car is unfortunately in a very poor state and it is my father's intention to restore it. Sadly, the amount of information available here in South Africa is very limited.<BR> <BR>We would be most grateful if you would please forward any information you have on this particular model as well as any information you may have on it's value to the above e-mail address. In addition, could you also please let us know the approximate value of a 1935 8-cylinder Studebaker President with peirce arrow body design. Unfortunately I do not have serial number of this vehicle on hand.<BR> <BR>My father would also like to join the Studebaker Drivers Club. Could you also please let us know what the requirements are for joining.<BR> <BR>I thank you in advance for your efforts and look forward with interest to your reply.<BR> <BR>Yours sincerely<BR>Mrs Carmen Sear

Dear Mrs Carmen Sear,<P>I have received your most recent correspondence sent to the Studebaker Drivers Club. I am not an expert on the Studebakers that you have requested information about, but will try to assist you as best I can. From what information you have given the models you have appear to be what was called the "Land Cruiser". This body style was introduced in the 1934 model year and was a new sensation with its unusual fastback streamlining and fender skirts. The design has been widely credited as resembling the experimental Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow models. Studebaker owned the Pierce-Arrow car company from 1928 to 1933. The Silver Arrow came out in 1933. So, it is very reasonable to suspect that Studebakers Land Cruiser was based on the Silver Arrow since it was designed and built during the time Studebaker owned Pierce-Arrow. As to value, that is always hard to pin point. Condition and location play a big part in value. I don't know what cars go for in Africa (is that the location of the cars?). The Land Cruiser was built in both 1934 & 1935 in the President, Commander and Dictator lines in either a Delux or regular trim package.<BR>Price guides should only be used to give a general ideal or feel for what the cars "might" be worth. The guide is never right on accurate even when it is a current issue. The Land Cruiser is a very nice model and one that is not seen very often. There are some still around and they are a sought after model, especially a President. In "The Antique Studebaker Club" magazine the "Review", there have been a couple of articles on this model. If it would help I could see about looking them up and sending you copies or give you the issue number so you can see about ordering back copies from the club. Hope this gives you some help. If you have additional questions I will do my best to assist you.<BR>Mark Huston<BR>