What is this engine from ???

Engine is a 320 CID straight 8. It has a narrow fan belt, dip stick is at the rear pass side above the starter. The serial # is 68900727.........I can not locate anything like this in my book. I was told it might be from a BUS? I am guessing that it is a 49-53 model because the water pump has a port to the side of the block that my 39 engine does not. Any info would be great. Mark Sanders Georgia.

• 3 weeks later...

Have no actual knowledge concerning<BR>your particular motor, but believe I once read that Buick Straight Eights were used in GMC Medium and Heavy Duty Truck applications in 40's and 50's. <P>So perhaps your motor is from one of these and hence the odd serial numbers.<P>Does any one else have more info ?

I just scrapped a 320 ci Straight eight motor that was used in a Continental Bus. Everything on the block was altered except the valve cover, Oil pan ran the full length od the block and about 7 inched deep, water pump was different from original, had a small narrow belt. It also had an oil cooler, and a 5 speed trans and a hydrulic operated clutch.<BR>More than likely it was a buick replacement motor from the 50's, the replacement motors did not have serial numbers spamped on them.<P>Hope this has helped.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi- Your engine number appears to represent a late production 1952 engine. The engine number you listed falls into the range of assigned numbers for 1952. The last digit of the engine number (in this case a 7) designated that the engine was installed in a 70 series car (a Roadmaster) in production. More information at <A HREF="http://www.OldBuickArchive.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.OldBuickArchive.com</A> <BR>Good luck!