What Kind of Fluid in a Dynaflow ?

The fluid level in my Dynaflow is about 1/2 pint low. I want to add some but I am not sure what type to use. The service manal says to use TYPE A AQ-ATF. I looked in three auto stores & the only transmission fluid they have is the universal Dexron/Mercron stuff. Is the newer type fluid compatible with TYPE A AQ-ATF ??<P>Thanks !

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

The fellow thta rebuilt my Dynaflow said to try to use Dexron II in it. He said he had not tested the Dexron III in them yet, but he was happy with the II. These are the only transmissions he works on, he is an older semi retired guy who has done a lot of work in our area on the Chicagoland Chaper's members cars. <BR> He also recommended to add a product called Duralube, or DuraGuard to be added to the transmission. He said that the new fluids do not have enough lubricating qualities in the for the old Dynaflows. That since the new EPA regs. they used to put something in the older oils from wales, but now they can't.<BR> It's in a small bottle costing about $20.00, but well worth it. I have heard this from more than 1 person. There are several different types of Duralube so make sure you use the right one.<P>Scott<BR>

An item that can prolong the life of your Dynaflow, but is not factory, is a transmission oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. If you drive your Buick a lot, a trans cooler is a worthwhile investment. The original factory transmission oil cooler, mounted at the rear of the transmission, is not efficient. If you are concerned with point deductions in judging, you probably will not install a cooler.<BR>

All trans. fluid is compatiable when you are runnig low and especially when you are trying to get to your destonation. I use Dexron II valvoline for all my vehicles.