1932 Chevrolet E brake

Hi I am having trouble installing the passenger side emergency brake shaft. The drivers side went in without a hitch. When I attempt to install the passenger side I have to turn the key side of the fitting that fits on the backing plate, which in turn operates the brake shoe, and of course makes the hub too hard to turn. Their doesn't appear to be any adjustment inside the emergency brake mechanism to compensate this. Enclosed are a couple photos of the emergency brake shaft. I am wondering if there is any adjustment on it to compensate the adjustment of the brake. I have adjusted the main brake mechanism on the rear of the backing plate and it helps a little but not enough. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Marv

post-113477-0-03757800-1439682793_thumb.

post-113477-0-98527700-1439682828_thumb.

Not sure I fully understand the problem but hope this helps.

if you are saying the position of the shaft is off then this should help.

When the shaft is off the car as in the left photo then the adjuster should be able to turn the shaft into any position you want.

Thanks for your reply. It is the shaft on the left photo. I have turned the adjusting bolt in and it makes the angle worse. Turning it out does nothing. What I need is to turn the shaft the opposite way.

When you say you should be able to turn the shaft into any position that you want, it seems to me on the one I need to adjust, there is only about a five degree change in the adjustment. and only in one direction.

Thanks. Marv

It has been a long time since I have had mine off but I was thinking when the shaft is off the car like that you should be able to turn the shaft with the adjuster 360.

Either I do not remember correctly or there is something wrong with the adjuster.

• 2 weeks later...