Early Steering Wheel Needed for GM Display

Brian_Heil

As some of you know, I have been with GM for 37 years starting at Buick Engineering in Flint in the Base Engine Group.  Still at GM Powertrain, and proud to be here.

GM Powertrain World HQ is located in Pontiac, Michigan on what was the former Pontiac Motor Division site.  (Sadly, there is not much left of the Buick site in Flint).  Most of what is here in Pontiac is new and state-of-the-art including an all new Powertain Museum that is just getting started/built.

Seems someone must know someone and they called me about a display they are putting together on Louis Chevrolet.  Part of the display requires a 'vintage steering wheel, one that Chevrolet would have used in a race car'.  After I gave the person a history lesson on Louis and what he was racing (Buicks), they asked, if I would ask, if someone had a steering wheel that could be purchased for use in the display.

So, long story, but does anyone have a 'brass era' steering wheel available for purchase?  I'm quite certian anything large and wood rimmed would fit the bill.  It need not be perfect.  There is a model shop here that can refinish anything.

I will see if I can still get on the Brass Buicks site on Yahoo and post the same.

Thanks