Differential Universal Joint Flange Removal

John N. Packard

Hey John,<BR>In my shop we use a good quality impact wrench and an impact socket. If things get stubborn, we let the compressors pump up to their maximum of 150 psi, make sure the gun is freshly oiled and set at its maximum torque setting and try again. Usually this is all it takes.<BR>If you don't have the luxury of this in your home shop, I guess I'd try everything I could think of to keep the rear wheels from turning (emergency brake, etc.) and have at it with a breaker bar and a length of pipe!

use a LARGE (crescent or pipe) wrench on the pinion yoke to hold it while turning the nut. Think of the pinion yoke as a large square nut. Place the daigo wrnch on it. If the nut is real tight u mite need to use a 3/4 drive socket and breaker bar. If its a round flange then u will probably need to use a pipe wrench on it.

Well, I've tried both suggestions with no success!. Put some WD-40 on it and will let it sit overnight. I guess I'm getting weak in my old age. mad.gif" border="0 I used a 3/4 inch breaker bar and an extension pipe. Held the yoke with a wrench and extension pipe against the floor of the garage. It just will not break loose. The impact wrench made a racket but didn't budge it either. I could only get 120 psi. frown.gif" border="0 <BR>jnp

Guest Randy Berger

John, I emailed you with a picture of Packard's joint flange tool to give you an idea how they did it. I like the impact gun at full throttle - it was the only way to loosen my vibration damper bolt. wink.gif" border="0<BR>YFAM, Randy Berger

• 2 weeks later...

did you use a beam torque wrench before removing the nut to observe the rotating torque? after replacing the seal you torque the nut until the rotating torque is matched.<BR>saves crushing the bearings balls into the race.