307 cam help

Im rebuilding my 307 out of a 1984 delta 88 royale brougham , I bought a new cam <stock> not knowing that I was going to end up with .060 over pistonz ,, Will I need a diffrent kind of cam for these new pistonz? if so , how do I find out what I do need ? thanx for your time. confused.gif" border="0<P>PS: my engine has NO computer control stuff in it, i love computerz ,,but not in my car.<p>[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: Joker Brown ]

Normally, a change in piston diameter has no effect on the camshaft. If you were sold high compression, domed pistons, you may find interference with the top of the pistons and the valves, but again, that's not a camshaft problem. You'll want to check carefully as you assemble the engine. Also, the bore increase will automatically give you a little higher compression so you'll maybe find you need a little less advance. <BR>I think the 307 was GM's low-output 'generic' v8 for many of the mid-80s A body cars, based on the small block chevy. I had one in my 85 MonteCarlo SS. It was OK but needed another hundred horsepower.

Even in a code 9 307 HO as used in 442 and Hurst/Olds of those years, overbore won't affect the cam used. It still won't be a powerful engine, but I have to say they're among the most reliable and trouble-free engines I know of. It's not unheard of for one to go 300,000 miles with no major repairs or oil consumption if reasonably maintained.<P>The Oldsmobile 307 has nothing in common with a Chevrolet engine except it was built by General Motors. The 305 used in Monte Carlo et al was a miserable little engine. No power, soft cams, prone to detonation, and notorious oil leakers. But they were cheap to build and Chevy had plenty of engine building capacity, so they went into millions of GM cars. Their one saving grace is that the heads have small combustion chambers and can be used to up compression on SBC- like they need anything else to promote detonation.

I guess my neighbour with the late model Camaro with the 400HP 305 will be real disappointed with that statement. Turns 13 sec quarter mile times, I guess he should swap that motor out for a real Chevy. rolleyes.gif" border="0

it would have been alot cheaper to go with a chevy thatz for sure (not downing chevy but custom partz arent cheap) , but itz not the power as much as itz been a strong motor and been good to me , but ive heard of rumorz myself of 13 sec oldz 307 , i doubt that will be mine though. and a 307 i think is perfect for the body i actually want , id love to have a 1974 olds omega 2 door to drop it in , i had a '75 once with a 260 that ran like a bansee , im sure a 307 would push it even better smile.gif" border="0 <BR> thanx alot for everyonez input , i dont know much but i try to help if i can cool.gif" border="0<p>[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: Joker Brown ]