Manufacturers markings on glass

Guest cars47

Vince, as Chuck mentioned, it depends on style of letters, is there a logo?, etc.<P>I have been doing commercial art, pinstriping, lettering as a hobby since highschool. There are various media out there. The most economical (though not necessarily cheap) would be to re-create the markings, lettering and print them out on decal sheets that can be purchased at Staples, Office Max, etc.<P>Again, it depends on how complex the marking is. If simple lettering, you could size the letters/numbers in Word and hit print. If there is a logo, possibly you could find the original in a restoration book, take a digital photo of it from a car with the correct/desired marking, then scan the subject. Then you could re-size it to the correct font and print it out.<P>Without knowing what it looks like, this is the best I can offer for now.<P>One thing for certain, if you use the decal route, you will have to be very careful in not wiping the lettering off when cleaning the glass.<P>Regards, Peter J. wink.gif" border="0

Guest De Soto Frank

Vince,<P>Most of the "logos" I've seen on older auto glass seem to be either etched or perhaps sandblasted into the glass.<P>You might ask your local glass shop or an artisan who works in glass etching; if you have a sample of the "correct" logo, it should be possible to create a stencil and then have the logo placed on your new glass.<P>Have you checked with any of the glass merchants in Hemmings?

Vince ~ If you want an exact duplicate of a manufacturers logo applied to glass, it is not difficult and it will be a permanent application.<P>First have a rubber stamp made exactly like the original logo. A good rubber stamp manufacturer can do this. I had it done more than 20 years ago.<P>Then get an acid etch kit from either C.R. Lawrence or Sommer & Maca. Both are supply houses to the glass trade. See your friendly local glass shop and have him order it for you.<P>Then follow the directions and etch the glass. Don't screw up because it is PERMANENT just like the original logo. <P>Frank ~ Many years ago [in the '60s] I visited a safety glass manufacturer and watched flat laminated safety glass being fabricated. The marking process consisted of<BR>a sandblast head with a rubber tip containing the logo stencil. The head came down, pressed on the glass and the air & sand were released. Presto - the logo was applied. I believe they were all done that way until the modern black logos came in.<BR>I imagine they are some sort of a fired on process. <P>I must tell you that I have been out of the glass business for 11 years, so I am rather out of date on any new technology. ~ hvs<p>[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: hvs ]

I just went looking for websites for Lawrence and Sommer & Maca. I found Lawrence at CRLawrence.com, but nothing on S&M.<P>As I said, it's been 11 years, so S&M may be out of business or possibly even absorbed by CRL. CRL was the up and comer while S&M was an old family owned business that seemed to be losing out to CRL.<P>I could not seem to find what we are looking for at the CRL site, so you will probably have to call them and ask if the kits are still available. If not, find a glass etcher and see if he can work with a rubber stamp on your glass.<P>The etching product used is hydroflouric acid, and you can do it yourself. It is tricky stuff to play with so be careful if you try it. The kit contained a blank stamp pad and a bottle of a diluted hydroflouric acid solution. Apply the solution to the pad and go from there. The only thing I do not know is how mild or how strong the solution should be or what the acid was diluted with. The solution I had was a milky tan color so it probably was something more than, or other than, plain water.<P>Remember, this advice and information could be worth no more than what you paid for it. rolleyes.gif" border="0 ~ hvs