Differences?

Guest Kelsey

Guest Kelsey

Hello,<P>Can anyone please tell me some of the basic differences between a '49 Buick Sedanette and a '49 Pontiac Cheiftan Fastback?<P>I know that the grille,emblems,lights, interior are different but how about the body parts, engine (Pontiac is straight 8 also (same cc's?) Are the side spears and moldings interchangeable?<P>Is the Cheiftan the Roadmaster or Super clone?<P>Any help would be very much appreciated.<P>Thanks<BR>

Prior to the 1970's, each of the GM divisions had much greater autonomy in terms of the engineering of its cars. The Buick straight-8 was a very different engine than the Pontiac straight-8 engine, with the major difference being that the Buick engine was an overhead valve design and the Pontiac engine was an L-head design. The Buick torque tube and suspension would also have been very different than the Pontiac driveline and suspension. Buick's Dynaflow automatic, of course, was completely different than the Hydramatic that was offered in Pontiacs.<P>I would be very surprised if any of the side spears will interchange between the two cars. Fenders, hoods, etc. would all have been different. Someone else may know whether window glass or doors would interchange.

I don't know about the pontiac switch, but I know that the 49 cadillac rear fenders will fit the buick, Have seen several. Best to check a Hollander interchange book. 1949 was a one year body style for most GM vehicles,so there probably a lot of interchangeable parts.<P>jim Schilf /palbuick@aol.com