reoccuring mold & mildew

novaman

What is the best method of removing mold and mildew from vinyl door panels that it doesn't come back? I've clean the door panels in my Chevy II and in a couple of months I've got it back. Any suggestions?<BR>I need to reuse these panels as there are no reproductions available and I have not been able to locate any NOS replacements. This is a 100 series, "plain jane" model station wagon. Thanks.

David ` MOVE TO WYOMING! rolleyes.gif<P>Every car I owned when I lived in Maryland grew its own crop of mold. I couldn't keep it from coming back after removal. After I had all the cars out here for a year all mold died, disappeared and never returned. cool.gif<P>The real problem is the climate where you live. I used to live in NC and it is like Maryland, but just a little hotter and damper for longer. shocked.gif<P>Sorry, but I have nothing constructive to offer. Just idle commentary. frown.gif<P>Howard

? nothing constructive to offer?. Yeah, right Howard. You?re just like a politcian, beatin around the bush at something. Treatin? us like mushrooms. Keepin? us in the dark and<BR>feeding us bull. I know what you really wanted to say was put some more elbow grease<BR>into and clean them more often. wink.gif<P>Just kiddin?. But I think I?ll stick to my humidity. At least I don?t have to shovel very<BR>much of it. That?s why I moved here from NY.

Novaman-<BR>Here are my thoughts. I used to get mildew on my cars every winter. My cars are stored in my unheated barn. Originally the barn had a poor foundation and cracked concrete floor, letting a lot of ground moisture pass up into the barn. Every spring was a big mildew clean up project. Generally, I used a solution of ammonia in water, followed by mild solution of Murphy Oil soap, followed by water-dampened rag, then wiped dry, then let the car sit in the sun for the rest of the day. This worked well on leather or vinyl. Two years ago, I replaced the barn floor, putting a layer of one inch foam board and thick plastic film down under the concrete as thermal and vapor barriers. I seem to have much less problem with mildew. Now here's the cheap, low-tech solution: Suspend one or two very low wattage light bulbs (like christmas lights) in your car with an extension cord to an outlet. Either run them all the time or on a timer. The heat will drive out the moisture in the air and reduce mildew (and rust) formation. Remember, SUSPEND is the key word; away from combustibles. Good luck, Bill

Don't know if this will help, but when my Dad lays his boat up for the winter he buys a couple of containers of a moisture absorber from the marine supply store. Keeps the mold and mildew out of the boat cabin while the boat is on shore and covered.