1912 Cadillac ignition problems

ThomasBorchers

After a longer time (1 to 2 months) of not running engine I have always the problem that there is no spark with the magneto system of my 1912 Cadillac. So I removed the distributor cap and tried to close and open the points with a wooden stick and I will get a good spark at the coil but not every time when I open the points. After some open and close the points the amount of sparks increase but the interesting thing is that it will not work when the points open and close by the distributor cam. It is not a question if I do this by hand crank or if I do it with the starter. After more open and close by hand with the stick, it will then work with the distributor cam and the engine starts. The points are new and I have no idea what the problem is. <BR>What capacity should the condenser have? Who knows that?<BR>Thanks for your help in advance.<BR>Tom<BR><P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA

Howard~~<BR>Normally at the magneto distributor is a condenser in its box which is screwed on with four screws at the distributor. On this small box is the name "Delco", of course. At the moment there is a standard condenser mounted at the terminal. You know this normal round type like in every day cars. At the moment I use one of a 1956 Buick but I am not sure which capacity it should have. My first idea was also that it could be a problem of the condenser. Is there the original type available?<BR>The second problem is that the vibrator don't want to vibrate. I had it that the engine run a short time at "batt" and then it stopped because the vibrator didn't vibrate... Have to find this out, too.<P>Tom

Thomas ~ As of 2 or 3 years ago those original condensers were available, and probably still are, but were very expensive. Most people not concerned with authenticity use a modern round condenser. That is what I have done with my '14 Buick which uses the same condenser as the Cadillac. <P>Your '56 Buick is 12 volt and I am not sure whether or not that is compatible with the ignition of the Cadillac. Try a 6 volt condenser and see what happens. They are cheap enough to experiment with. ~ hvs

Tom ~ I'm not really certain myself. It just seemed to me that it might make a difference and that you couldn't go wrong with using a 6 volt condenser.<P>Rick ~ If you are looking in on this, does it make a difference whether you mix condensers and voltages?<P>Howard

Thomas and Howard, <BR>I haven't a clue! My first thoughts are that there is no difference in the voltage, but in the size of the condensers capacity, which is measured in Microfarads. I think that's right?<BR>(I better get Dan B. to see if I spelled that right also.) wink.gif <BR>The more I think about this, I shouldn't be guessing and check on what I show in my books tomorrow at the shop. Hopefully, somebody that knows more than I will jump in to help with this, as I'm really not too good in this area. Sorry Thomas!<BR>Rick<p>[This message has been edited by Rick Hoover (edited 02-14-2001).]

I asked some guys here in Germany about the condensor and they said that it is not important if you use one for a 6 or 12 v system. The condensers have all a voltage range and no fixed voltage. Important is the capacity as Rick said.<BR>Well, what shall I say...Today I made my first small tour with this car for this year (suddenly stopped by heavy fog here, so that I had to turn around) and the Cadillac started very good (4 turns or so) and run perfekt. I will see what will happen if the car stands still for 2 or 3 weeks...<P>Tom

Howard,<P>At least you're trying your best to help others. That alone, deserves an A plus. That is part of what this forum is all about!<P>I dug out a lot of information I had here on condensers and such and after I read it, all I got was a headache. I better stick to trying to help with other things.<P>If we ever get Thomas over here in the states to Hershey, he's buying the first round! wink.gif<P>Rick