I'm COOL! BRRRR!

ronbarn

We had a thread some time ago in which we talked about air conditioning in my '61 Cadillac convert. Several of you recommended Vintage Air if I was not going to stick with the original factory installed unit.<P>I just picked up the car from a nearby rodder who has done several Vintage Air units. His installation was clean and used existing outlets as much as possible. The drive back was about 15 miles in 95 degree weather. On medium, I was quite comfortable. Sally will probably have to wear a sweater when I crank it up to high.<P>I stand chastised for not keeping Big Red original, but the old AC was not doing the job even with some repair and charging. This is a car for touring, not showing, and I am confident that the new AC will be worth it. I did get the "Monster" unit, the biggest they make and with installation the total cost was under $1700.

Watch it don't frost up your glasses! Maybe you can leave the back window down for me on the Fouders Tour <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ronbarn:<BR><B>We had a thread some time ago in which we talked about air conditioning in my '61 Cadillac convert. Several of you recommended Vintage Air if I was not going to stick with the original factory installed unit.<P>I just picked up the car from a nearby rodder who has done several Vintage Air units. His installation was clean and used existing outlets as much as possible. The drive back was about 15 miles in 95 degree weather. On medium, I was quite comfortable. Sally will probably have to wear a sweater when I crank it up to high.<P>I stand chastised for not keeping Big Red original, but the old AC was not doing the job even with some repair and charging. This is a car for touring, not showing, and I am confident that the new AC will be worth it. I did get the "Monster" unit, the biggest they make and with installation the total cost was under $1700.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

<BR>THIS SUCCESS STORY GIVES ME INSPERATION TO AIR CONDITION MY 62 OLDS STARFIRE CONV.I ACQUIRED A CATALOG FROM V.A.I THINK THAT I WILL GO WITH THE UNDER THE DASH MODEL.THE V.A ROUTE SEEMS TO BE THE WAY TO GO,AS OPPOSED THE TRYING TO OBTAIN A FACTORY UNIT AND TO INSTALL IT INTO MY CAR! ANY IDEAS??

Trainguy, To install the VA unit in my car required removal of all factory AC components except outlets. After the compressor was installed in the engine compartment, this left a lot of room where the old components were removed. The under the dash unit was neatly placed and as many of the original outlets as possible were used. The man that installed mine had to make a few minor modifications to place it in the right place to look good since VA does not make one specifically for this car. You probably will not have time before the Founders Tour, so take a look at mine when I get there. I think you will be pleased with the results.