Reverse flow trans cooler?

The longest piece of steel tubing I can get locally is 60", which is cutting it mighty close for the longer of the two transmission cooler lines I'm fabricating.<P>However, I was looking at the arrangement on my Dodge and unlike most cars that I'm used to, the trans cooler seems to flow horizontally across the bottom of the radiator.<P>I'm thinking about reversing the flow of the trans cooler. This would allow me to shorten the longer cooler line by about a foot. Anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't do that?<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Bry<P>I was hoping someone with more automobile tranmission knowledge would answer this. Not being a transmission expert, I will give you an engineer's opinion. As long as your oil cooler has one row of tubes (or all tubes come from the same "tank" at each end like the water in a radiator), it is probably OK to reverse the flow. If the cooler is arranged so that oil passes thru the front first and then makes a return pass to the rear of that (or vice versa), then I would be sure to connect it back like it was.<P>If your tubing is not long enough, you could always put a coupling in line or even use some rubber transmission cooler line (Do NOT use fuel line. It will not stand up to transmission oil). <P>Hope this helps.