Opel Motor Wheel

Has anyone heard of or seen an Opel motor wheel? The AACA library has nothing on it. The example being restored is old and a long way from home (made in Germany at the close of WW I.) Would like to know more about it. Thanks!

I found only a very few information about Opel (motor) cycles in the early years. Opel started in 1901 with cycles with a small engines. They developed 1 3/4 hp to 3 1/2 hp. In 1907 they stopped the production and restarted in 1913. Then comes the story with the Opel Motorclub a "real" motor cycle in the mid 20s. But I think you mean these small ones like cycles with a small engine?<P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA

This engine fit on the left rear of a bicycle frame and drove the rear wheel by way of a chain and spocket. I would guess that it is in the 0 to 1 HP range. It bears a strong resemblance to the Wall Auto Wheel made in England.

Yes, these bicyles where built from 1901 to 1907 as far as I know. They called it : "Fahrrad mit Hilfsmotor". Something like: Bicycle with helping engine... As far as I know they built then from 1913 real motor cycles and bicyles without engine. Not very much. I'am sorry but I'm a car man.<P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA

Thanks very much. Every little bit helps. Obviously, this is an odd one and there isn't a whole lot to be found--at least on this side of the pond.

Doright, I am a motor wheel freak and an intriqued with the questions about the Opel motor wheel. I will have to search through my files since nothing comes to the top right away. Where is this bike being restored? Are any photos available?<P>I only know of one Wall bike in the states and have photos of it. The Smith Motor Wheel and Briggs & Stratton Motor Wheel were derivatives of the Wall. <P>I am working on a '21 (?) Flottweg, which is a front wheel, chain drive, to a planetary transmission in the front hub. The Germans tried some clever ideas in those days. Look forward to hearing more about the Opel.

Ronbarn,<BR> The only reference to the Opel I have found (other than what the kind folks here have provided)is in an encyclopedia of motorcycles of the world (Just now, I'm not sure of the exact title.) The author suggests it was designed before WW I, but not produced until 1919 and production lasted only a short while. Mechanically it is what you would expect of fine machanicians. It is all metric and that has posed a slight problem in replacing one bearing in particular. The magneto is not Bosh, but German-made. Internally, at least, it is exquisit. I feel quite lucky to have found it. Will you be at the Winchester Meet? I'll try to have a photo of it. doright

doright, Will be at Winchester. Will probably be judging in Class 5 someplace (I almost always get what I ask for in judging since the Chief Judges don't get many requests for the bikes) and for doggone sure will be at the DFers gathering behind the 1912 Triumph in Class 5a at 1:30pm. Look forward to seeing the pictures and hope to have some info at that time.