1900-1914 ball radial and thrust bearings

Guest old crank

Guest old crank

Looking for information regarding early ball radial thrust bearings. ie: wheel bearings, transmission and differential bearings. These bearings consisted of a cup, loose balls and a race. Is this style available from a specialty manufacturer, if so please forward information. Thanks.

Here is a company that seems to help us out most every time. However, have each and every measurement on hand, as they do not service by application. Bearings, Belts, & Chains Inc. 555 E. Walnut St. Lebanon, PA. 17042 / 717-272-5200 As the Co. name says, thats all they sell. Good Luck, RAH

• 2 weeks later...
Guest old crank

Rick<BR>Thanks for the lead. I contacted Bearings, Belts & Chains and sent them a sample of the bearing cups that I had removed from the Brush differential. After their inspection they called and informed me that they had never seen this type of bearing before, nor did they have any leads to finding this vintage of bearing. They are returning my samples. So the hunt is still on. Thanks again.<BR>Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don, <P> Recieved pictures. Yep, been there. Have you checked with a machine shop with CNC capability to make the races?<BR> Bearings are available thru MSC Supply Co. or McMaster-Carr. No problem there.<BR> Is that one inner race, part of the gear? Or is it pressed on? I could not see or tell. I hope it's seperate.<BR> Give me a couple days till I can see some friends about this. Had a similar problem with a '11 Fiat a few years back. <P>Rick<BR>

Guest old crank

Rick,<BR>Yes the inner race is part of the gear, it was form ground originally to fit a 3/4" diameter ball, that part of the bearing is still usable. It's the cup portion that is destroyed. I sent the cups to Wayne at Brass Auto in CA to look at for manufacturing, he thinks from the pictures he can make them. Thanks for you interest and please let me know if you find out anything. I'd still be interested to know if someone is selling them.<BR>Don

• 2 weeks later...

HT DESIGN OFF BEARING I BELIEVE YOU ARE DISCUSSING IS MARGINAL AT BEST.IF YOU PLAN ON DRIVING THE CAR MUCH,YOU WOULD BE WELL ADVISED TO USE A LITTLE INGINUITY AND USE MODERN TIMKIM BEARINGS,THEY HANDLE THE RADIAL LOAD AND THE AXIAL THRUST FAR BETTER THAN A BALL BEARING. I HAVE DONE THIS SUBISTUTION MANY TIMES ON MY OUN AND FRIENDS CARS.PHIL

Guest old crank

Rick,<BR>I wanted to let you know that Wayne Simoni at Classic Autopart Restoration in CA made a perfect set of bearings identical to the originals. I know that I could have submitted to more modern techniques, but using the original configuration is a lot more satisfying. The kind of driving this car will get on our highways of today, the bearings will surely be sufficient.<BR>