Power Steering Pump Squeak

Dashmaster

Did some tune up stuff on the 88 this weekend, got it running pretty good but have this squeak. Seems like its coming from the power steering pump. I have seen replacement part pictures and they show a large C clip on the front main shaft behind the pulley. Has anyone ever pulled this apart and re-lubricated the bearing that appears to be located here? I have pulled on the pulley with belt off and have no unusual play in the shaft, spins free and no squeak spinning it manually. Any other suggestion would be helpful. Hope in Tag it next week so I can do some shakedown driving to see what else needs fixing. Right now about the only thing the car is complaining about is drivers door ajar and cruise control. The Squeak does change with engine rpm, sometimes goes quiet. Very annoying!

Guest PontiacDude210

They stretch after a while. I had a different GM car that always squeaked. I owned the stupid thing for 4 years and listened to the noise for nearly as long all because the belt looked new and couldn't be squeaking. I put a "new" belt on from my parts engine and replaced the tensioner, swapped out alternator off my parts engine, never thought the "new" parts engine belt would be noisy too. Right before I sold it I did plugs, tires, belt, and a bunch of other preventative maintenance, and the belt cured it. For the fact that belts are cheap and require no actual wrenching, always check belt and tensioner before spending any real money. I'm glad you got your squeak fixed without a lot of effort. That noise a squeaking accessory makes is enough to drive a man insane.