Ridin' high

Ggot a 1970 electra. Put new springs at all four corners. Now the front seems to ride higher than the rear. Looks kinda goofy. People ask if I got hydraulics. The shop double checked the spring #s and said that they are correct. Will these front springs "settle down"? Ddid this caar originally ride with the front a little high?....Thanks says Joel

I doubt there would be a noticable rake to the rear in stock shape. No doubt one of the more experienced Electra restorers will jump in soon with their expertise.<P>I have had similar problems with new springs, however. I replaced all four springs in my 1960 LeSabre 3 years ago. At last year's National I confirmed my worst suspicions, my car is about one inch lower at all four corners than any other 1960 car there. <P>The front springs were Rockwell brand, from J.C. Whitney. The rears were also brand name (Gabriel) from ESPO. I guess they were equally lousy. The car seems to drive OK, though.<P>Does anyone have a good reccommendation for a supplier of springs?

Does anyone have any experience with Year One springs? According to their catalog they pull the original blueprints for the car you have and make springs to match the originals in performance. They will differ in number of coils and the wire diameter. I ordered a set for my front suspension on my 70 Skylark and they seem substantial, but I'm only slightly into the resto and do not know how good they are. Also, My 'Lark was a 350-2 (just get a 6 cyl then, jeez) so I have nothng to compare them to. I've seen those J.C. Whitney catalogs, and I wouldn't trust them for more crucial parts.

Uhhhh, sorry guys, I goofed. The Year One catalog is for Skylarks only. If I come upon anyone who manufactures springs for Electras I'll drop a line if they seem reputable.

Classic Buicks, Inc. lists front & rear springs in two styles. One is the "economy" style, probably from one of the chassis parts makers like TRW, Gabriel, ect. They are listed as probably able to fit more than one make/model of car. The other style is the "custom" style, where they are supposed to use the original specs to make a set of springs to match the originals. I haven't used either of these, so I can't tell you what they are like. You can call them at 909-591-0283, and the have a website, I think it is <A HREF="http://www.classicbuicks.com." TARGET=_blank>www.classicbuicks.com.</A> I hope that will help you out.<p>[This message has been edited by sksmith (edited 07-01-2000).]

I have beeen though this a few times and man do I know how frustrating it is to set your car back on the ground and your car is still up in the air! My 67 camaro gave me a fit.I used ones from Year one the first time,ordered for a 6-cylinder ,which I have. After the installl the car sat with the a arms fully extended. So I figured I would cut them down 1 and a quarter turns <BR>. It worked but now the car is a low rider. The look actualy grew on me.<BR> A fey months later replaced the rear leafs and decided to raise the carback to stock height. I order spring from Eaton Detoit Springs,who manufacture most springs anyway. They had a 6 cylinder spring that was supposed to be for a 1 inch lower than stock so I went with that. I got the same result as the first time...... way to high. So I am now back to low Riding with the first set of springs until I get higher aspirations!! Check it out at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/davesbuick" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/davesbuick</A> <P><P>------------------<BR>