50 year old classic

I have a 53 Chevrolet 2dr coupe that is my pride & joy. I wonder if you can help me establish a price as I have to sell it. It's in original unrestored condition & everything is working. Is there a market for classic cars or are the prices low at this moment? If the market is to soft I can wait a while.<BR>Thanks in advance for any info you can give a fellow classic car owner.

The definition "Classic" is a very overworked word. The Classic Car Club od America (CCCA) Has defined a classic as a car that was of superior design and quality from the twenties to 1948. The last classic recognized by the CCCA was the 1948 Lincoln Continental and the 1948 Cadillac Fleetwood "75" . I am sure you have a very nice Chevy ,but it is not a classic. <P> frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

Thank you very much Old Guy for setting me straight. I'm so grateful for people like you to tell me what I have.

It seems the PH cancer has spread to this forum. Mr. Old Guy, I do not agree with you. That Chevy is a classic, a 65 Mustang is a classic and my 39 Dodge truck is a classic. I have a classic vacuum tube radio in my workshop, and once in while I can get my dog to adopt the classic RCA Victor pose in front of it. <P>There is no copyright on the word classic, just as there is no prohibition on anyone using it to describe anything. Their use may not agree with your preference, but it is only a matter of semantics or definitions.<P>As was observed here a long time ago, this mindless, cranky scolding, begun and encouraged by PH at every opportunity, does not serve the hobby and only continues to cause animosity and division. <P>If someone comes on here and claims to have a Full Classic 64 Galaxy, they may be innocently mistaken and you might think about a gentle correction. Maybe. Or just let it go. After all, what's the point?<P>Meaning no offence, just my thoughts.

By US Customs definition, an antique must be 100 years old. Now, that makes the defining process a mere categorizing thing,.... but it helps to divide up collector terms. I agree the term "classic" is overused, but we have to place divisions someplace,... I also believe there is a great deal of ego in calling any car a "classic" just because you want to. Until someone comes up with a better system and definition of terms,....why not allow the CCCA, which is a sizable, and long-lived organization, to be the determining factor in this terminology battle. We have all met those "collectors" whose cars are better than anyone else's,... they are a dime a dozen, regardless of what they have spent or own,... they are a worthless lot whose ego depends upon competition and conspicuous consumption. I will be glad on the day that true historically appreciative people drive the investors and money and prestige-driven people out of the hobby. I doubt I'll live to see it, but I still want it to happen.

Billp ,I thoght I was quite gentle in my message. It is a fact that the CCCA is a recognized organization the has been around longer then I have. I accept their use of the word" Classic" because most of the people who have been around the hobby agree. If my explanation was in any way offensive, I apologize. I have been in the hobby for 50 years ,so I am not new to the hobby end the different organizations that make it what<BR> it is today. I am also not afraid to <BR>register smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: The Old Guy ]

Am sorry, I just noticed no one answered your question,.... collector cars are definitely not at a premium right now, so hold onto it until the market improves. A bit of general maintenance and upkeep will only enhance the value so long as it involves no major alterations of equipment.