'63 Trunk compartment update

JanZverina

If any '63 owners are thinking of, or in the process of, mildly refurbishing their trunk compartment, here's an update with some tips to share. If your cardboard liners are scuffed up: I lightly sandpapered out some of the lighter marks, and treated deeper gouges ones with a thin coat of Elmer's Carpenter's glue, smoothed it with my finger, and let it dry. I also found a perfect match for the gray/taupe color - SEM Color Coat 15713 - the color is called Ladera. I cleaned and refinished the jack mechanism, base, and tire iron, and jack retainer spring and even the little liner fasteners in the original colors (gloss black in this case). Here are some pix - as mentioned, my fabric mats are stained and the foam backing is crumbling in places, but it's original to the car, which I like. I also hooked up the vacuum trunk release - for some reason the hose was not connected at the glove compartment side - and it now works perfectly.

post-56475-143142577777_thumb.jpg

post-56475-1431425775_thumb.jpg

post-56475-1431425775_thumb.jpg

post-56475-143142577777_thumb.jpg

Nice work. Thanks for the pointers. The cardboard refurb is a great idea. Mine might be reusable now. One piece maybe not moused soaked pretty bad:(. I want to keep the original carpet as we'll but said mouse maybe not and pretty stained. Is there a good original looking replacement do you know?

Guest clamshells

Everyone has different taste but I favor the patina. Looks great. Funny thing Goldie's remote trunk release was disconneted at the canister and the hose shoved inside the cab and the canister blocked (definitely on purpose) makes me wonder why. What was in the trunk they needed that extra security? Okay I don't want to know.

Thanks for sharing.