1968 Lasabre brake overhaul

Guest bugsy1955

Guest bugsy1955

Ok. Got a chance to take a look at the brakes and a complete brake overhaul is going to be the only way to go. Everything is shoot. Question now is overhaul the drum brakes or convert to front disk. Any suggestions? Also any recommendations for either complete drum brake overhaul kits (are there any available?) or disk brake conversion kits?

Damn my son is going to learn quick! I asked him to give me the car for father's day and he said no. Now he will learn how to do brakes :~)

Thanks!

Guest wildcat465

Bugsy, the drum brakes that came on these cars were the high standard of the day. When rebuilt and adjusted correctly, those brakes stop better than my four wheel disc truck. I assume you are not racing it. I have no experience with disc conversions, but have overhauled plenty of these drum systems and would never convert my cars. Parts can be picked up at any parts store.

Guest bugsy1955

My thoughts exactly. But my brother insists that if I need to redo the brakes, why not go disk. I had a 62 Skylark Convertible that I played around with 20+ years ago and had in awesome shape before I sold it to him to pay for my wedding. (Dumb move, I would still have a great car...can't say that about the X). He sat if for years then sent it out to have work done and disk brakes installed. Sometimes older brothers don't always know best...lol!

I'll check my parts stores, but was wondering if there anyone sells complete brake overhaul kits.

Thanks for your reply!

If you convert to disc, then you'll be $1500+ into the conversion before you know it. Overhaul the drum system and the car will stop with no extra effort. My 58 Roadmaster will lock up the wheels if I ask it to do so. Disc conversions are a waste of money unless you plan on doing autocross with it.