interior vinyl color question

KDirk

Was wondering if anyone who has purchased vinyl upholstery by the yard for restoration could verify the proper color tan for the Reatta. I know this interior color is referred to as medium beechwood. Interior colorant and headlining material are sold with that name.

I have located Sierra Soft vinyl in beechwood, but there are two other colors that appear close on the computer screen. One is desert tan, the other is cognac. I want to be sure to order the correct color and was hoping for some first hand confirmation.

KDirk

Guest my3buicks

Kevin, get samples, that's the only safe bet. Sometimes if you are matching to other parts that are not being replaced you need to match to the existing not to stag the color was when new. I had to do that when I replaced done of the suede in the 88.

Keith,

Yeah, samples would be the best bet I know. Was trying to avoid the wait involved in ordering sample swatches first and then placing a second order after receiving them.

I have ordered garnet (burgundy) and flame red before by name only, but there is obviously less ambiguity with those two colors. There are several shades of tan, and three look close. The one named beechwood looks right on screen, and was hoping to find independent confirmation.

Beechwood is probably it as that is the official color name used by paint suppliers to describe the shade for mixing interior colorant. Pretty sure GM used this name internally too, though saddle tan was the marketing name used in brochures and order forms.

Wish there was a local supplier for this stuff, the place I used to go to went out of business a few years ago.

KDirk

Guest Mc_Reatta

I'd stay away from cognac.

Wouldn't want to run the risk of being accused of drinking and driving..:eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Just an update, I answerd my own question. Found a local fabric place with sample cards and have determined the proper material for 88-91 tan interiors is sierra grain vinyl in "beechwood". Headliner is also beechwood color. Hopefully this will aid someone else in the future when selecting vinyl for interior repair and restoration.

While on the subject, the material for 88-90 burgundy interior is sierran grain vinyl in "garnet". Headliner is garnet as well.

Those are the only colors I've researched so cannot say what the correct grey and blue color names are. For 91, the flame red interior is shown by the name "flame red" on the sample cards, so self explanatory.

One minor detail is that depending on supplier, both beechwood and garnet vinyl may be solid color, or have a very subtle marbling effect (slight light/dark color variation across the face of the vinyl). Those with tan interior can see this on the door panels, while the dash and console are solid color.

KDirk