Another running change found

KDirk

Just discovered yet another mid-stream part production change while rebuilding headlamps on Threatta (early 88 coupe) and the roadster this week. The black plastic finishing baffle that surrounds the headlamp has two distinct versions.

1. Early version on early production 88 coupe has a more pronounced reinforcement ridge molded into the thin portion of the plastic that sits beneath the bottom edge of the headlamp bulb than the later version on the 91.

2. There is no "skirt" around the inside edge of the opening in the bezel on the early version, while the late version has a 3/8" wide plastic margin molded in the runs all the way around the inside of the rectangular bulb opening. I have to imagine that this was done to add extra strength and rigidity to the part. Wonder if the early ones were problematic in terms of warping or breakage.

3. A couple of other minor differences in the bottom most edge (not readily visible while on the car) of the early vs. late version. These odd protrusions on the early version were probably to add strength and rigidity that was lacking due to the absence of the aforementioned "skirt" on the later part.

Anyone else aware of this? Or I am the first to notice (can't hardly believe that I am though)? Yet another part that needs to be specified by version if you want them to match what you already have on the car 100%. This is much like the different versions of the drivers side outside mirror with two harness connectors (early) vs. one connector (late). I amazes me how many relatively insignificant such revisions were made along the way with these cars. Never know what I will discover next.

KDirk