headlamp diode

KDirk

Was wondering if anyone could answer this from experience. On the 88 & 89 models with the headlamp retract switch on the console there is a headlamp diode connected between this switch and the circuit from the main headlamp switch. This was done to allow the headlamls to pop-up without turning the lights on.

As I am planning to add this to my 91 convertible, I need to know the specs for the diode. I am figuring a fairly large rectifier diode will do the job and will just need to be properly enclosed and insulated within the new section of harness I will be fabricating. I realize there would be an official GM part for this but don't really want to spend the time chasing it down.

KDirk

Kevin,

A 1N4002 should work just fine as it can handle 100v reverse voltage (i.e. blocking) and they are readily available. The headlight door diode does NOT carry any appreciable amperage as it's only load is the headlight door module control input when the headlights are ON. When the doors are opened via the console switch, the diode operates in blocking mode and therefore carries no current. If you want to go with a heftier rating use the 1N5401 which has a 3amp rating. Either will work. The headlight door diode is NOTHING special. Just solder wires to the ends of the diode and encapsulate the whole thing in heat shrink tubing (mark which end is which).