65 Clock

phoemsen

Inspired by an episode of "Wheeler Dealers", in which, Edd repairs the clock from a C2 Corvette. I decided to tackle my own. I had a spare non-working clock and proceeded to experiment with it first. I disassembled it and sprayed it with contact cleaner. I carefully dressed the contact points on the winding solenoid/motor. After "exercising" the movement by rotating the adjustment knob, I manually reset the spring mechanism... it started working right away!!! I sprayed a light coating of lubricant on the gears ( Rust Check ) and then used some canned air to remove any excess.

After confirming this was a success, I duplicated the procedure with the clock from my car. Two weeks later, it is still ticking away.

post-62450-143142423684_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143142423653_thumb.jpg

With an electro-mechanical clock, it's usually just the contact points getting dirty, corroded or pitted. My '68 electric clock has run flawlessly

for the past 15 years after a similar overhaul and servicing. I seriously considered purchasing a quartz conversion kit, but the 'man-over-machine' instinct won out !!

I also had a couple of spares for backup and practice.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Guest dwhiteside64

Wow what a great success story! I will give that a try before changing out the mechanism with a quartz movement.