for1927 commander Steering box lube

Dave: I'm not familiar with your specific car, but I'll offer my "general" $.02 worth:

1) You may have a grease fitting that's designed to provide grease to an upper friction point that's not lubed by the lube in the gearbox. IF that's so, a bit of grease supplied there on occasion, is appropriate.

2) However I would NOT put "grease" in the gearbox itself, because grease will channel, leaving the working parts within the box "dry." I'd recommend doing the following test with any lube you consider using: Place a dollop on a flat surface and see if collapses of its own weight in a short period of time. If it stays rigid, that's what it will do in your steering box!

3) I'd think your gearbox would have some kind of removable plug which allows you to pour-in a heavy-bodied oil. In my '36, I use Amsoil 250-weight "Severe Gear" E/P synthetic gear oil. This oil is quite heavy, but is flowable and offers the benefits of modern lubricant technology. Incidentally, I replaced the lower steering shaft leather oil seal with a modern nitrile seal. Bill.