Nov.1, 1913

Povertycove

According to Saxon Registry historian Elliott Fletcher, the Saxon company was incorporated November 1, 1913. Prototypes were available for display in January, 1914, and the first production cars became available in mid-February, 1914, ahead of the projected production date of March 1914. So the actual birthday of the a Saxon depends upon whether you see the start as incorporation, or production. Elliott is still researching the last days of Saxon. The last Saxons were built in 1922, though the last ones were sold as 1923 models. There is some good documentation about the last efforts of the company in Ypsilanti, as revealed by John Meyer of the Horseless Carriage Club of America.

My personal opinion is that the date of construction of the first car - prototype or production - represents the realistic starting point of a marque. I cannot believe that Maserati is celebrating their centenary this year when the first car was not built until 1926; talk about clutching at publicity straws... In the case of the Saxon, Harry Ford and co got stuck in pretty quickly, so it makes little difference whether we talk about November 1913, or January/February/March 1914.

From Elliott's research I reckon my car left the factory around 9th May 1914, so my celebration will be centred on that date this year!

I rather think that a company starts when it is incorporated. My analogy is that of a family. You date the starting of a family at the marriage, not at the birth if the first child. I list the Saxon years as 1913-1923, though clearly as far as production goes, the years would be 1914-1922.

But we'll be with you in spirit when you celebrate your car's centenary. I have two Saxon roadsters that will turn 100 this year, and two Saxon Sixes that turn 100 the next year, though I don't have an exact date for any of them.