1963 Riviera Hot Air Choke Question

Guest rozzi

Hello all,

I bought a 63 Riviera last year that was running a later model carb with an electric choke. I recently picked up nice Carter #3503 carb, which per my service manual, is what it came with originally in 63. Since I needed to connect the hot air choke, I bought a stove pipe kit from Cars, Inc. I got it the other day and had a couple of questions about it.

I know where it hooks into the manifold and the carb. However the kit came with the aluminum tube, the cloth cover and two brass (?) fittings. One of the fittings screws into the port on the carb. The other is just a very small sleeve. My manifold already has what appears to be a sleeve in it and I was able to put the tube in there with no problem. I'm assuming the "sleeve fitting" that came with the kit is what I already have installed in the manifold. I'm I right with this assumption?

Secondly, how is the tube secured once stuck in the manifold? Does it just stick in there?

Lastly, the larger fitting that came with the kit screws on to the port on the carb, however I don't see how I can secure the tube using this fitting. Does this fitting just act as a guide to route the tube to the port on the carb?

I have attached some photos that hopefully show what I am trying to explain. Thanks.

post-95897-143142345695_thumb.jpg

post-95897-143142345703_thumb.jpg

post-95897-143142345722_thumb.jpg

I am so glad you are going back to the stock carburetor!

I can help you with all of this. See below...

Hello all,

I bought a 63 Riviera last year that was running a later model carb with an electric choke. I recently picked up nice Carter #3503 carb, which per my service manual, is what it came with originally in 63. Since I needed to connect the hot air choke, I bought a stove pipe kit from Cars, Inc. I got it the other day and had a couple of questions about it.

I know where it hooks into the manifold and the carb. However the kit came with the aluminum tube, the cloth cover and two brass (?) fittings. One of the fittings screws into the port on the carb. The other is just a very small sleeve. My manifold already has what appears to be a sleeve in it and I was able to put the tube in there with no problem. I'm assuming the "sleeve fitting" that came with the kit is what I already have installed in the manifold. I'm I right with this assumption?

The little brass sleeve is called a ferrule. It goes on the tube between the carb and inside the brass nut.

Secondly, how is the tube secured once stuck in the manifold? Does it just stick in there?

Yes, it is just stuck in there. The cloth insulation goes on up near the carburetor.

Lastly, the larger fitting that came with the kit screws on to the port on the carb, however I don't see how I can secure the tube using this fitting. Does this fitting just act as a guide to route the tube to the port on the carb?

In your left photo you have what is known as a "tube nut and ferrule". You slide the tube nut onto the steel choke hot air tube first, then slide the ferrule on. Insert the tube end into the carb and then thread the tube nut onto the carb. As you tighten the tube nut on the carb, the brass ferrule will crimp down on the steel tube and stay on. Sorry I don't have a picture of one for you.

I have attached some photos that hopefully show what I am trying to explain. Thanks.

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it! That info helps me out a lot. Since the kit didn't come with any instructions and I couldn't find a photo of the connection online, I figured I'd better ask. It looked easy enough, but wanted to make sure I got it right before attempting it. Thanks again for the info and the prior help you gave me on decoding my dataplate.