Another body bushing question, 1st gen Rivi

RockinRiviDad

I have a 65 Riv. I've searched & found the main sources for our body mount bushings are CARS, Rubbertherightway.com, classicbuicks.com & OPGI. The pics & descriptions that they provide of these bushings are a little deceiving (one company doesn't even have a picture).

4yguhu3e.jpg

tunehaqa.jpg

6adanede.jpg

So I called to ask the my question and they couldn't give me a definite answer. For lack of a better term, I will call these bushings pictured the male half because the step in the bushing goes into the hole in my frame…agreed?

Bare with me…please

In these next pictures you see the step in my bushings are actually an all metal washer & flange that is what makes up the "male" portion of the bushing that fits nicely into the hole in my frame keeping the bushings in place.

The question: do the body mount bushings you guys have ordered from any of these vendors have the same set up as the stock bushings I have with the flange on metal washer? Or is the step in the bushings they sell all just made of rubber? That's what I image when I see the pictures they provide.

Sorry for being so long winded and bugging u guys with such minor details. But if u guys could take a sec to help me out I would appreciate it greatly. Thank u

3a5aqyqy.jpg

9a6uvu3e.jpg

me4ajysa.jpg

ru5u3y4a.jpg

Regards,

David

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

David, I bought my complete kit from Classic Buicks. Talk to Mark, he'll set you up. Good service.

The set is an improved version over the factory set. The only issue is the two rear mounts will need to be trimmed as the originals are oval. No biggie. Just a little trimming, and they fit right in.

• 2 weeks later...

Never tried this but I'm guessing:

-saturate all hardware with your choice of penetrating oil (let it soak in, if your lucky u will only break one or two)

-choose one side (i.e. driver side) & remove all bolts

-jack the body up high enough to replace the bushings. As a safety measure maybe u could shove a block of wood between the frame & body.

This description is prob only a pipe dream. The more I think about it the more questions arise. Someone will chime in

Will the steering coupling need to be separated?

Does the shifter linkage need to be disconnected?

Regards,

David

Thanks Rockin RivDad. I am headed your way for Christmas. Mother in Law lives in Ventura. Are you available to talk Rivs? She lives near the college. Funny to I bought the car from the Murphy museum in Oxnard.

Oh man that's awesome! Come on down brutha you are more than welcome. But I'm about an hour from Ventura College I'm in Simi Valley. Send me a PM if u wanna do this I'd love to talk Riv's

Congrats on your purchase.

Regards,

David