Headlight Switch Removal on '64

Guest dwhiteside64

Guest dwhiteside64

Hi everyone,

Looked at the procedure for the headlight switch removal in the service manual and it seems to describe the switch found on the LeSabre and others (different location than the Riviera). Can anyone tell me the best way to remove and inspect this switch? My interior lights are flakey and I want to see how the rheostat portion of the switch looks. Thanks.

Before removing the switch, try rotating the knob a number of times each way. Sometimes the corrosion built up on the rheostat will rub off and your switch will work okay again. If that doesn't work, the switch comes out of the dash just like most other GM switches. There's a button on the side of the switch. Depress it and pull the knob with the shaft attached out of the switch. Then you loosen the escutcheon, turn it to the left, and it will come off the switch. The switch will then come out of the back of the dash. Be advised, when you pull the shaft out of the switch, you'll turn the lights on. They'll stay on until you put the shaft back into the switch and push it all the way in. Or disconnect the battery before you do anything else.

Ed