Touring Top sealer paint

frank burns

I have just put the top up for the first time since I bought the 1920 Buick Touring. I didnt see it prior either. Originally I was planning on replacing it . After looking it over

I was surprised to see a top in great condition except for the black coating that is cracking and coming off where the top folds. My question what should I repaint the top

with and whats the best way of removing the existing coating.

I do have to replace the clear plastic panels on the side curtains

Frank

Frank, I have never seen a painted top on a actual touring car that folds. I use a "top coat" type paint on my solid roof that has a fabric top but it does not fold. This top coat product is still available and you can find it on several Model A Ford vendor sites. I think that any painted top coat will crack if the top is folded. The plastic window material is available from any boat upholstery shop. Many will sew the new stuff in for you too as you need an industrial sewing machine to tackle that job.

Re your top, you might want to send a private message to David Coco, trimacar on this forum, with your question. David is our master top maker of the teens and 20s cars.