1941 Dodge identification for DMV

Guest Killowatt

Guest Killowatt

I have a 1941 Dodge Business coupe and am unable to use YOM plates, on registration under year of manufacture 0000 is listed. I am trying to get paper work of some kind that identify s this car as a 1941, the motor was changed by my uncle in 1953 so that # dose not match anymore, there is a body tag with a #.

I can use all the help I can get Thanks

Look on the drive side frame rail for the original engine number and/or serial number.

My '33 Plymouth has the engine number stamped between the running board supports. I've heard that post war cars had the serial number in that location and the engine number around the kickup for the rear axle.

Sounds like your car was registered using the engine number. Lots of states did that. But others used the serial number which is what Chrysler tracked the cars by. So another option might be to contact the Chrysler Historical Collection with the serial number (plate should be on the passenger side front door hinge post for pre-WW2 cars) and get the "build card". That will show the original engine number. Showing the correlation between the old registration paperwork and the car's serial number might get you through the DMV paperwork process.

For some more on body versus engine versus serial numbers and a "decoder" (actually a table lookup for that era) for your serial number see my web site at http://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin