Red battery light after change of battery ( 1995 Riviera)

Guest Riviera95

Guest Riviera95

Dear Riviera owners,

Hello to everybody from Switzerland!!

I am new on this forum. I just bought

a 1995 Buick Riviera. The battery was too

old and I bought a new one.

The problem I have now is that the red

battery light is still red... And I have the power

steering not working, "very hard".

The car is simply impossible to drive and

is parked for 3 days now.

Strange thing is that everything is working:

lights, radio, ac...

Please kindly help me!!

Many thanks!

Best

I replaced both the Alternator/Power steering and Supercharger/water pump belts on my '95 a couple of weeks ago. Really pretty simple. Before doing anything, take a picture or make a mental note of how the belts run. The diagram in the (mine at least) '95 owners manual is incorrect.

Each belt system has an idler pulley. That idler pulley is under tension. All you need to do is a ratchet wrench with the right sized socket. Put the socket on the idler pulley and exert a little pressure, the idler arm will move and take all the tension off the belt. Don't try to take the bolts out, just use them to take the tension off the arm. Then it's just a matter of sliding it off and doing the reverse to put the new one on. Just make sure that you get the belts properly aligned with the groves in the pulleys. You're lucky that your car is a '95. Unlike the '96 and later engines, there's nothing else that needs to be unbolted or removed to change belts. Once I figured out that I was using the wrong illustration (the one in the owner's manual) it took about 20 minutes to do both belts. I found an illustration for the correct routing on Google. My car threw a belt and I needed to cut it to get it off so I didn't have the original belts to look at; yours are still in place so take a good look at them before removing them.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest Riviera95

Well, in Switzerland there are only two

95 Riviera... People sometimes think it is an XK Jag.. of course, as there is no mention of Buick badges they absolutely dont know the Riviera brand :--)))

And when they hear the Riva sound of the double exhaust they look at me like an allien :-))