1956 T-bird Transmission filter

Guest miturn

Hi,

In the continuing saga of getting Trudy running -- I ordered the gasket/filter set up for the '56 Tbird -- problem is, the replacement part seems to not fit properly as the old one. Has anyone had an issue with the replacement filter part such as it being made 'elsewhere' and from the 'land of the not quite right' instead of in the USA?

If it does not fit correctly, is there any harm or such if I clean the old filter very well and reinstall that instead of forcing a fit of a 'just not right' part?

Thanks in advance,

Rod & Carol Marcom

Hi Miturn,

I don't have direct experience with this, but I am wondering if it is the correct filter for your car. I would first look at the transmission id tag (on the side of the transmission) and get the number. I would then call your parts vendor and tell them what you have encountered when you went to replace the filter. It is possible your car doesn't have the original transmission. There are plenty of variations of the Ford-o-matic produced during that time that may possibly fit but aren't exactly the same. I'm just guessing at that one. If you get the number off of the transmission I will be able to check it to see if it is the right one for your car. Above all, you parts vendor should be able to help you get the right one for your car.

Regards,

Hi Lew,

I cannot get to the number just now, as the car is in a shop that I have no access to until the mechanic returns next week. When I can, I will get the number.

Thank you for the help and I'll be in touch

Rod & Carol Marcom