Dodge/Dodge Brothers

Guest 51c8Joe

Guest 51c8Joe

Just curious, when did Dodge Brothers become plain old Dodge? For years I thought that Dodge Brothers were trucks and Dodges were cars, don't know where that idea came from. Thanks for your time.

Joe

Just curious, when did Dodge Brothers become plain old Dodge? For years I thought that Dodge Brothers were trucks and Dodges were cars, don't know where that idea came from. Thanks for your time.

Joe

Without dotting i`s and crossing t`s the Dodge Bros. commenced manufacturing there own vehicles in 1914 (centenary celebrations next year), unfortunately both brothers died in 1920. The company continued under the direction of the two widows and appointed managers until 1925, it was then sold to a banking consortium who ran it until 1928. Walter Chrysler purchased the company outright in 1928 and continued to produce vehicles labelled as Dodge Brothers until 1938 when the decision was taken to drop the Brothers title.

Guest DodgeKCL

I don't know that Chrysler dropped DODGE BROTHERS in 1938 in one fell swoop. I have magazines from the early 40s that still have Chrysler using "DODGE BROTHERS" in their ads for Dodge trucks. I think it just pettered out rather than stopped at a particular year or date. Certainly by the end of WWII it was gone. But I'm sure with me saying that ,someone will come up with an ad after WWII still having DODGE BROTHERS on it. The DODGE BROTHERS CLUB cuts off at 1938 I believe.

I don't know that Chrysler dropped DODGE BROTHERS in 1938 in one fell swoop. I have magazines from the early 40s that still have Chrysler using "DODGE BROTHERS" in their ads for Dodge trucks. I think it just pettered out rather than stopped at a particular year or date. Certainly by the end of WWII it was gone. But I'm sure with me saying that ,someone will come up with an ad after WWII still having DODGE BROTHERS on it. The DODGE BROTHERS CLUB cuts off at 1938 I believe.

This is exactly correct, alot of people assume it was 38 cause the Dodge club decided that as their cut-off date but the Brothers was carried for a few years at least beyond that.

From a recent history of Walter P Chrysler book (Life of an American Workman) it was a conscious decision of his to rename the product Dodge, not sure what year (I suspect 1937), but this occurred in 1938.

Edited by hchris (see edit history)