1986 Buick T-Type Skyhawk

Paul from PA

1986 Buick T Type Skyhawk turbo.1.8 4cly 4sp. Not to many of these made with sticks. 77,000 miles. New tires . Fun car to drive . 1,500 724-four five four-0622, Greensburg. 00Q0Q_XYl2AXjI5V_600x450.jpg

It's an acquired taste, but it would be an interesting and different car to collect, a rare Buick that would probably not be seen at another Regional or National. This one appears to be in nice shape, which is interesting given the rust belt location. Most importantly, as the seller notes, this is a 5 speed car. Automatics were dogs. The 1.8 4cyl was a DOHC high revver that is right for our times in that it gets 25-30 mpg. Looks? Not bad, not great. I suspect 99% of these off Regal based T Types are gone forever. Those who collect much older significant Buicks might say 'who cares' but it would be a shame in my opinion to not see some of these Buicks saved and paid forward for future observation.

Back in the day this was a cool car to have. A jazzed up Cavalier is what it is if I'm not mistaken. The Eurosport was out. The Citation X-11 or something like that. Buick version of a sporty car looking to get a younger buyer in the showroom. But yeah a teen in the 80's like me this would be a great car. I was a 78 Buick Regal door door driver in the 80's. My first car.

The 1.8 DOHC was sourced from Brazil. I want to say Pontiac was the negotiator that brought it in and put it in their cars, then asked the other divisions if there was any interest. This was "pre" 2.3 Dualquad GM when they were caught behind the imports coming out with DOHC 4 cylinders. Of course the Dualquad was a disaster. The 1.8 DOHC Turbo was a stop gap but created some limited production cars that can certainly be collected, especially by those of use with limited funds who can't drop $30,000 on a fifties era Buick. The olds version of this was the Firenza. Same body almost to a T. Same engine.

Yea yea that's it Chris. I had the name wrong. Quad-4 that's it. Well, I was an import tech at a Pontiac dealer and the GM techs hated those motors. Overheated, snapped things, dropped pistons, warped....