1936 clock wiring

Guest Jeff_Miller

Guest Jeff_Miller

I'm finishing up the last of my wiring and I see that I either forgot to label on of the three wires from the accessory clock or it fell off.

I believe the clock is wired entirely from the instrument/cab lighting switch. One wire from the clock goes to the middle of the switch to get power. One wire from the clock goes to the driver side of the switch to turn on the clocks lamp when the instrument lights are turned on. I'm not sure what the third wire is but I think it is a ground.

I tried to use an ohm meter and I do see connectivity from the power to the third wire I suspect to be ground but I see nothing when I ohm between the lamp wire and the suspected ground. Hmmm.... I better check to see if the bulb might be dead.

In any event, can anyone confirm if the third wire is a ground and possibly where it might be hooked to on your car? Does it perhaps connect to the headlight switch?

Thanks,

Jeff

Guest Jeff_Miller

I hooked up the two wires for power and the instrument light side of the instrument switch and the clock lights up without any further ground. That makes me believe the third wire is not a ground. I have also been looking at some schematics that seem to indicate the third wire might actually be to connect to the map light side of the instrument switch. Doing this should cause the clock to illuminate when the instrument switch is set to light the map light as well when it is set to turn on the instrument cluster. I'll be trying some more probes with my multi-meter and expect that I'll try to hook the third wire to the map side of the switch and hope it doesn't fry my clock.

Jeff

I'm not sure what the third wire is but I think it is a ground.

Thanks,

Jeff

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff,

I took a peak at mine yesterday and the third wire (orange) is to ground and is hooked between the light switch and the dash itself by the bolt holding the light switch. I would assume this is to ground the light in the clock. The second orange wire goes to the light switch.

i am also sending you a pm.

Tom

Guest buicker
I'm not sure what the third wire is but I think it is a ground.

Thanks,

Jeff

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff,

I took a peak at mine yesterday and the third wire (orange) is to ground and is hooked between the light switch and the dash itself by the bolt holding the light switch. I would assume this is to ground the light in the clock. The second orange wire goes to the light switch.

i am also sending you a pm.

Tom

Clock is probably grounding itself, that's why it works but the third wire is most likely it's ground wire. Do a continuity check with your ohm meter with the wire and the chassis then you will at least know it's a ground wire.