Small Block Chevy Still Lives!!

llskis

Took this interesting story from the NCRS (My other club) that was put there by Joe Lucia.:

Son of Original Small Block" Lives On!

As most know, the original Chevrolet small block first introduced in 1955 was last installed in a Corvette for the 1996 model year,albeit in Gen II form. The Gen II "died" for all PRODUCTION use afterthe 1997 model year. The Gen I lived on for a few more years in some trucks but was phased out for all PRODUCTION use in favor of the "LS" seriesengines. The Gen I small block is still manufactured in Toluca, Mexico, but only for SERVICE and MARINE use.

All the while, the 4.3L V-6 which is the 6 cylinder version of the original Gen I small block continued to be manufactured and used in S-10 pick-ups as well as the base engine for most GM full size pick-ups. I always figured its days were numbered, especially after GM introduced the DOHC, in-line "Atlas"series 4, 5, and 6 cylinder engines for use in pick-up trucks. I figured the intent was to phase the "Atlas" engines in and the old 4.6L V-6 out

Well, the 6 cylinder "Atlas" engine went out-of-production a few years ago but the 4.3L V-6, "son of the original small block", livedon. Now, the 4.3L V-6 has been greatly updated for the 2014 model year withdirect injection and cylinder deactivation plus, I understand, all aluminum block and heads. It will produce 285 HP and 305 LB/FT of torque.

So, while the original small block V-8 is long-gone from PRODUCTION vehicles, it's "son" has a new lease on life and has, apparently, vanquished the engine that I believe was intended to be its successor, the 6 cylinder DOHC "Atlas" engine. This all means that the basic small block architecture in 6 cylinder form lives on into the future almost 60 years after it was first introduced!

Edited by R W Burgess
cleaning up text (see edit history)