'65 Riviera find - is it worth it?

Guest metalmagpie

Guest metalmagpie

I'm new here. I was just shown a '65 Riviera with 87k original miles, owned by a nice guy in his mid-80s. It isn't a Gran Sport and it doesn't have power windows, and it has sat since 1987 but it's still shiny and the chrome is all there and looking nice and the interior (this from a cursory walk-by) looks great.

He asked me to help him sell it. He has dreams of big (~$20k) pricing. I cautioned him that it isn't the Gran Sport and doesn't have all the options and doesn't run and may need up to $10k to get fully running and in perfect condition.

So what do you guys think? I really like this car but have learned some hard lessons about falling in love with old sheet metal so I'm leery of a never-ending dollarectomy of a restore followed by huge disappointment trying to sell it.

metalmagpie

Western Washington State

Guest metalmagpie
If you can walk away from a car and post a question about buying it you haven't found the right car yet.

The next car I buy is going to drive me nuts until the deal is completed, no hesitation, heart pounding, and scrambling for cash before someone else shows up.

Rivera, 1978. Stopped in on Saturday, brought home Tuesday.

Electra, 2002. Found on Ebay at 45 minutes from posting, hit the button at 50 minutes.

Park Ave, 2011. Found Craigslist ad @ 4 PM, verbal confirmation @ 4:10, check in mail next day.

Impala 2011. Found at dealership Sunday afternoon, delivered Tuesday evening.

I can't wait for the next, '40's or early '50's Packard or Lincoln. And I won't be the least objective about the purchase; hormone driven only.

Bernie

LOL, hope you're kidding, that's pretty pathological! :-)

metalmagpie

Here is my take. First consider what the car would be worth in the condition that you would like it to be in from driver quality to concours, deduct 20% as a reality check. Then as accurate as you can do your homework about how much you will have to spend realistically to bring the car up to that level- multiply by two because it always cost more than you thought it would and there are items that you did not consider now take that total figure and deduct from the 80% value figure the difference is the most you would want to spend. Thats how I do it and I have owned many cars (mostly Buicks) Good luck and hope your seller is cooperative. Paul

Guest Rob J

From what you have described, not running, no power options, it's not worth anything close to 20k. I bought a very solid, 88k mile unmolested 65 a couple of years ago for 3k. I got the car so cheap, and it is so solid, I am now in the middle of a frame off restoration on that car.(See link below for pics) You should find nice driver quality cars in the 10-15k range IMO.

OK MM: I am a proven expert on old Buicks that have been in a non-operational state for 26 years. The good thing? It's a 65 Riv and a 65 Riv just drug outa the riverbed is still a 65 Riv. The bad thing? The price must bee super cheep or else you will start with a black hole and wind up worse...if that's all possible.

Now, if you get it cheep and either like that kind of work or know how to do that kind of work or don't care about how much dough and energy you through at it you are in great shape. Mitch