1924 Buick 24-48 Opera Coupe

Matt Harwood

*SOLD*

The first word out of just about everyone's mouth about this handsome Buick is "cute." Perhaps, but I also think it represents a ton of car for less than the price of a common Model A Ford. The Model 24-48 was Buick's best-seller in 1924 and is based on the chassis and six-cylinder engine that would become known as the "Master Six" in the following years. It was restored perhaps 20 years ago, and given the literature that accompanies it, I'm guessing someone was very enthusiastic about owning it. It has been refinished in its original Cobalt Blue with black fenders and a lovely white pinstriping job on the body and wheels. The paint has a nice shine that isn't show quality, but looks good for touring and casual shows, and could probably be taken up a notch by a guy with a little extra time on his hands. The doors, trunk, and hood all fit quite well. There's not a lot of brightwork, but the stuff that's there is a combination of brass, nickel, and chrome that all works pretty well to give it a cohesive vintage look. Is it totally authentic? No. But everyone seems to love how it looks.

The interior looks purple in photos, but it's really closer to brown and looks great (OK, maybe there's a little purple in it, but it really works well). The mohair upholstery is probably pretty close to what they used originally and uses vertical pleats to replicate the factory look. The driver's bucket seat is quite comfortable, although the passenger jump seat isn't really designed for cross-country cruising. The back seat is cozy for two, and features a large storage box behind the driver. The big wood steering wheel feels great in your hands and is in excellent condition. Sadly, none of the gauges except the ammeter are working, so there's no way to verify the mileage, but I believe the speedometer cable is turning so only the head unit may need servicing. The hand controls for spark and throttle work properly, the flip-up switches for lights and ignition are operational, and there's an oil pressure gauge on the engine under the hood that shows almost 30 PSI at idle, so I have no concerns about its mechanical fitness. The black carpets look good and are professionally fitted, and the headliner is taut. It's really not a bad place to spend some time, as I've discovered.

The engine is a 255 cubic inch inline six, and thanks to more than $700 worth of rebuilt carburetor and ignition components, it runs extremely well. With an electric fuel pump, it starts quickly using the combination generator/starter, and idles well without getting cranky. It was obviously rebuilt not too long ago, judging from the relatively recent gaskets and engine enamel. On the road it makes decent power and keeps up with traffic once you master the unconventional shift pattern and double-clutching (take your time), and doesn't seem to get warm, even cruising at 40-45 MPH on a 90-degree day. I've personally driven this car quite a bit and can attest that it works quite well and the external contracting 4-wheel brakes are effective. And take a glance underneath--this car is SPOTLESS! It's also not a leaker, which is always nice.

A neat little opera coupe with good horsepower and a lot of presence. It's not perfect, but the basics are very, very good and it's the kind of car you could do a little project here and there to take it up a level or two without a huge investment. A great tour candidate that'll cruise at 45-50 MPH, and as I said, everyone loves how it looks. Asking $14,900 and we're always open to reasonable offers. Thanks for looking!

post-31138-143141967029_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141967032_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141967035_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141967037_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314196704_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141967042_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141967044_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141967047_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141967049_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141967051_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141967054_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141967056_thumb.jpg