1950 Desoto - Oil Pressure Question - Please help!

Guest art cee

Guest art cee

I have a 1950 Desoto, runs nicely. However, I have no oil pressure. I have an external oil filter, and when I disconnect the line even at the block, I get just a drip coming out as opposed to it squirting out. Any ideas as to what can be wrong? What to check? What does the pressure relieve valve spring do? Thanks guys

I have a 1950 Desoto, runs nicely. However, I have no oil pressure. I have an external oil filter, and when I disconnect the line even at the block, I get just a drip coming out as opposed to it squirting out. Any ideas as to what can be wrong? What to check? What does the pressure relieve valve spring do? Thanks guys

Tell us a bit more, have you just discovered this? have you recently had the lubrication system apart? has the motor been sitting without running for any length of time? does the motor knock when its running?

Guest art cee
Tell us a bit more, have you just discovered this? have you recently had the lubrication system apart? has the motor been sitting without running for any length of time? does the motor knock when its running?

I have had this car for 30 years and finally restored it. I dropped the pan and cleaned it all hoping that would do it. Next i took the lines off the external oil filter and cleaned them out in case they were plugged. Still no pressure. If i remember correctly the gauge should be new.What i have not done is take out the pressure relief valve. Some one said that it must be replaced with the correct one. how will i know that what's in it is correct ? I cannot tell if it knocks as i don't let run to long when i see no pressure.when i start it initially there is no noise..I'm at a lose at what to do.....I sure would love to drive it.