starter problems 48 Buick

I am having difficulty with my 6 volt cranking system on my recently rebuilt 1948 standard transmission Buick. When the engine is cold the staring motor turns over at "normal" speed and cranks the engine without difficulty. After driving a short distance however, the cranking motor turns over very slowly or sometimes not at all until the engine is again cool. Sometimes after engaging the solenoid, there may be a 2-3 second delay before the cranking motor turns over VERY SLOWLY. The starter has been rebuilt within the past six months and spins freely on the bench under no load. The solenoid is new. The battery cables are extra heavy (gauge 1/0). The battery is heavy duty, new and fully charged. I have previously converted from the accelerator vacuum starting switch to a push button dash mounted starter. Altho the engine is probably still abit tight, it has been driven probably 250 miles since the rebuild and turns over freely when cold. I feel that the problem is in the starting motor when placed under load, but the reputable firm that rebuilt the starter with "heavy duty high torque fields" states the starter motor is OK. Any ideas or help you can offer me will be greatly appreciated. I am old enough to remember that this was not a common problem with 6 volt cranking systems in the 40s and 50s. Thanks for your help. Charlie. craycain@attbi.com

I think I would suspect the starter. I would also check all the connections,and make sure the timing is not to far advanced, but I think that will take you back to the starter. Do you have access to another one you could try,or borrow? Even reputable firms sometimes have a bad rebuild and need to do it over. Even with engine hot it should still turn over.

I cannot stress enough the importance of making sure ALL of the electrical grounds in the starting circuit are tight, clean, and free of all paint and rust. THIS IS CRUCIAL! <P>One spot that is often overlooked is the metal to metal connection between the starter solenoid and the starter housing. Make sure this area is clean and paint free.<P>Also, don't forget the metal to metal connection where the starter attaches to the engine block or bellhousing. Make sure your engine ground straps are intact and connections are clean.<P>Anything you can do to aid the current flow is going to help you.<P>I recently helped a friend with the exact same problem on his 1947 Cadillac convertible. We went through the starter, the solenoid, and all of the connections. The starter now spins faster than ever -- hot or cold -- with no speed degradation when hot.<P>Good luck!<BR>Jeff Hansen<p>[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: Jeff Hansen ]