Front Seatbelts '40 Special

Guest geoedgerton

Guest geoedgerton

Decided to install belts and the rear seat was a pretty straightforward job. But, the front seat poses a problem---when trying to feed the belt between the seat cushion and the back cushion there appears to be a metal panel on the back cushion that prevents doing that. I suppose the seat has to be removed and some sort of passage for the belt cut in that panel. Before I start on that approach I just wondered if anyone has actually put belts in a '40 that might have some advice.

George

We put belts in our '39. I think the '40 Special has the same body as '39 Special. There was insufficient gap between the seat and centre pillar for modern belts with the roller system. The installer however provided earlier 50s - 60s - 70s style. Not as tidy as, or as good as, moderns, but better than none. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has had success with the more modern type.

Despite lots of head-scratching, we could find no reasonable way to install front seatbelts in our 1939 Roadmaster 4-door convertible (80C - Phaeton)

post-54863-14314190327_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143141903284_thumb.jpg