1930 AC fuel pump rebuild question?

Dwight Romberger

Dwight,

I had my first (have a spare) 1930 fuel pump rebuilt by the vendor that supplies kits. The guy who has rebuilt about a zillion fuel pumps told me that pulsator is a very rare item indeed and near impossible to find. I believe the air dome replaced it due to the fact it was easier/cheaper to manufacture. My spare pump I rebuilt myself using his kit as I discovered they are really pretty simple to rebuild at home. It is my understanding that these pulsators are not prone to failure however so as long as it is intact you should be OK.

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

Thanks for the information Michael. It is not cracked, so I will assume it is OK. I am going to try to put it back together today. I had a surprise. The engine rebulder cracked both ears on it when he reinstalled it. I had a small leak there. I hope I can get it to seal.

Thanks again.

P.S. Have you decided on an interior color yet? I sent for a packet from LB B. I was surprised their package price only went up a couple of hundred $. I am leaning toward the beige-brown mohair, but I am also considering mixing two colors.

Dwight

Perhaps a bit of JB Weld will work for you in this instance. I believe it is impervious to gasoline.

On the upholstery when I originally purchased my car it came with a grey kit from Lebaron Bonney still in the boxes. Eventually the time came when I wanted to reupholster the front seats which could be done independently from the rest of the car which was in the shop for paint. When I removed the upholstery from the boxes I discovered that the fabric had acquired severe wrinkling that no amount of steaming or ironing was going to remove due to the fact that the kit was packed in the shipping boxes to long. Unfortunately the only solution was to order a complete new kit to the tune of $4K as that shade of grey had been discontinued in the interim period and therefore I was unable to have them reproduce only the affected items. A search of every known upholstery supplier was unsuccessful in finding a match as well. In the end I ordered another kit from Lebaron Bonny in their current shade of grey. If you order a kit from them I highly recommend that you remove all your upholstery items from the shipping boxes and spread them out immediately upon receipt to avoid the problems I encountered. They are packed in there very tightly and you will most likely see this issue if not addressed right away.

Thanks,

Excellent! Glad to hear it is working for you. Were you able to fix the leak?

I apologize for stealing your thread Dwight but since you ask about the upholstery, I thought I would post a picture of the Lebaron Bonney front drivers seat, before and after.

Thanks,

post-63406-143141855302_thumb.jpg

post-63406-143141855306_thumb.jpg

WOW! Very nice.

I really like the buttons too. The 40 series did not have them. The LB B kit I am going to order is really for a 31 model 67. The dimensions are exactly the same, and as a bonus it has buttons!

I don't see a leak yet, but there is a lot of strain on what's left of those ears. I think I will look for a spare.

Dwight